Saturday, May 23, 2015

The Wildlife of Cambria, California

Cambria, is my favorite destination on our California road trip. It's a little beach town about half way between LA and San Francisco and we always spend a few days here for scenic walks on a boardwalk along the beach.


But the real highlight for me is to watch the elephant seals who live about  miles up the coast. If you have read any of my past California road trip blogs you have probably seen a photo or two of the elephant seals.


This visit to Cambria I has offered many peak opportunities for wildlife viewing.during our two day visit we saw two fox on the boardwalk, (quite close up), quite s few sea otters playing, harbor seals lounging on rocks, two or three humpback whales (not that common this time of year),  and several dolphins. I didn't get any photos of any of them, you'll just have to take my word for itThis visit to Cambria I has offered many peak opportunities for wildlife viewing.during our two day visit we saw two fox on the boardwalk, (quite close up), quite s few sea otters playing, harbor seals lounging on rocks, two or three humpback whales (not that common this time of year),  and several dolphins. I didn't get any photos of any of them, you'll just have to take my word for it.

The main event though is looking at the elephant seals, rather preposterous looking seal the size of a small car.

They weigh from 2000-5000 pounds. We usually see a few hundred of them lying on the beach or waddling out into the water. But this time we are passing hogan Calfoenia a month earlier and instead of a few hundred, there must be 5000-7000 of these huge mammals on the beach.


Their size is so huge that getting int and out of the water is exhausting and they need to slide on the sand for a a few feet, maybe 20 or so. Then they lie completely still to rest from the effort that took to move their enormous bodies before they continue their journey. They also make rather rude noises. I can  watch them for hours without getting bored. And just did.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog usually doesn't allow comments so if you can't post them, please email. I'd love to hear from you.