Monday, July 23, 2018

The World's Largest Collection of Outdoor Totem Poles

Several of the towns on Vancouver Island have unique features to attract tourists to visit as well as to beautify their town.

Duncan is a charming town, actually my favorite, with a lot of cute shops, a historic railroad station and museum, and the world's largest collection of outdoor totem poles. Most of them are within a few blocks in the downtown core. Each time I visit I take photos so I thought I would finally share some.

A downtown park 
 Each of the 39 poles has an accompanying sign telling about the artist and the meaning of the pole. While most of the artists are from the Pacific Northwest. some are from other parts of Canada and one from New Zealand.
Baskets of flowers are very popular all over Vancouver Island

Many of the totem poles are located near the former train station and museum





A close up

This one is standing in an alley that was the old Chinatown. They took some photos of Chinatown then they tore it down and posted the photos on the walls of the alley instead. 




 There are yellow footprints on the ground to direct people from pole to pole. I didn't post a photo here because I'll be posting a photo of similar footprints in my next post which is The Murals of Chemainus.

1 comment:

This blog usually doesn't allow comments so if you can't post them, please email. I'd love to hear from you.