Sunday, April 14, 2019

No one wants to hear from your tee shirt

Until the mid-1970s nobody wore T-shirts and certainly not T-shirts with messages on them. In the mid-70s I lived on Sanibel, a small island off of Florida, and started a company designing souvenir T-shirts for tourists.

Some years later message tee shirts started to make an appearance I don’t know about you, but it seems to me not that not that many people care to hear your opinions and even fewer are interested in reading your opinions on a T-shirt. Nevertheless, it’s hard to pull your eyes away before you’ve had a chance to read their message.

The message T-shirts in Argentina seem to come with a side order of attitude. Keep in mind that this is a Spanish speaking country so I can’t help but wonder about them. Does one jaded cynic write all of these?  I also wonder about the people who buy them. The shirts and typeface aren’t even that pretty. Do they even read English and know what the shirt says? In Asia you often see locals in teeshirts with nonsense messages but I always assumed they bought the shirts because they found the font or graphic attractive.

So for the last month or two I have been writing down some of the messages that I have seen on the street. Here are a few:

Every bad decision has a story behind it

No friends, no enemies, just some memories with some people

I may not be incredible but I am alway me

Give me a break

The beautiful people are ugly too

Be calm and be my boyfriend

Who are you to tell me I’m not perfect?

Be stronger than your fears.

There is no conclusion here. I just thought these were interesting and wanted to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog usually doesn't allow comments so if you can't post them, please email. I'd love to hear from you.