Tuesday, October 29, 2019

Biking and Barging in Burgundy

I'm not certain how this biking and barge trip came about. In an idle moment, I may have googled 'tours in France without a single supplement'. Anyway, I found this trip in Burgundy, a small barge, about 16 people, into and out of Dijon, which is a really nice town about 2 hours south of Paris. Franklin and I were there about 10  years ago. I bet you think this is where they grow mustard seeds and traditionally you are right, but these days 80% come from Canada. That's your surprise fact of the day.

I like bicyling but have never tried long distances so I rented an electric bike for our two long days of biking (more than 20 miles each day). Over the summer I practiced on an ebike a few times to get comfortable and familiar with how they work. E-bikes are wonderful, I recommend that you try one.  I plan to get one or possibly convert my regular bike next time I live somewhere long term. 

This trip included barging on small canals and one larger river, the SaƓne, some biking, visiting some wineries and small villages, and a day in Dijon, a charming and attractive city that has a surprisingly good museum.

Although I am usually an independent traveler this tour was really wonderful and I can't recommend it highly enough. The tour company is called Gadventures. Although they are a large tour operator, this is their only barging trip. Too bad, I would do it again. 

Barging is the traditional method of moving cargo from one part of Europe to another. Here is an old photo of a barging family. Often the woman walked along the canal and did the actual pulling the barge along while the man steered. That's right. She pulled this boat via a strap around her body. Here the man is wearing the strap. 

Our barge, the Danielle. No cargo,  but a hot tub, and bicycles.
As the barge moved along the canal, we had choices to stay on the barge or walk or bicycle along a path alongside the canal.

Sometimes there were just inches between the barge and a bridge
There were vineyards everywhere. 










The photo above and below is a private home/castle with moat/B&B that we toured. I think it only had one guest room so  one could rent a more or less your own small castle. 

Happy hour on the barge


 Dijon is a very nice small city about two hours southeast of Paris. It has interesting architecture, a good indoor market, and lots of cultural attractions including a good free museum.




 
Not so different today. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog usually doesn't allow comments so if you can't post them, please email. I'd love to hear from you.