Monday, December 23, 2019

Christmas Tamales

Those of you who do not live in the Southwest, or other areas with a large Latino population, may not know that Christmas is tamale season. For many Latinos the holiday season is synonymous with tamales. Families gather together to make them together. Their value comes not from their ingredients but from the fact that they are hard to make, and handmade. They are gifts of love and if you have any Latino family, friends or employees, like a gardener or cleaning person, you are likely to receive a gift of tamales.


At first glance making a tamale might seem simple enough, a dough stuffed with filling, wrapped in a corn husk or banana leaf and steamed. But they are actually hard to make and labor-intensive which is why it is often made in groups.


On Sundays we dance in a church that has a Latino service going at the same time. Yesterday there was a rumor that there were tamales available for sale, but by the time the milonga finished, the cooks had gone home. It was only then that I realized that I miss them and want a homemade one desperately. I am really really hoping my cleaning gal brings some as she used to do when we lived here. She is coming tomorrow morning, so I am hopeful.


Sometimes people sell them outside supermarkets during this week but I am not staying in a town with many Latinos so I don't even know where to look. And time is running short before Christmas. I don't know- are homemade ones even available after then?

 I'll tell you a tamale story. I like to go to garage sales. A few years ago I went to a garage sale in Scottsdale. There was a Latino man going around to the shoppers and whispering something in their ear. The women I saw seemed to ignore him so when he got around to me I only half-listened to what he had to say. But after a few moments I realized his wife was in the car selling warm tamales. I bought a dozen, went home, and ate one. It was the best one of my life. So I hopped back in the car and drove around the neighborhood looking in vain for his car. No luck.

I come from a culture that also equates food with love. Franklin too. So I get it. Anyway, I am sending this blog out a day or two before Christmas. If you know where I can get some, please get in touch soon.





1 comment:

  1. I've never eaten a tamale in my life. I don't know what I am missing. A tiny restaurant around the corner from where I live in BA has them on the menu. It wouldn't be that big of a change from my whole food plant based meals. Maybe I'll try one.

    ReplyDelete

This blog usually doesn't allow comments so if you can't post them, please email. I'd love to hear from you.